Learn the Dutch language
Interested in taking up Dutch courses? Whether you want to learn Dutch so you can start a Dutch degree programme, or you just want to learn Dutch on the side while you are studying in Flanders and Brussels: find all information here.
International students can study Dutch as a preparatory year before studying a Dutch degree at a Flemish higher education institution. For such a preparatory year, non-EER students can receive a visa for the maximum of one year. Beware, in order to receive this visa and be able to start the preparatory programme, the student has to enrol in the Dutch programme after.
The higher education institutions will refer to a Flemish University Centre such as ILT KU Leuven, Linguapolis Antwerp and UCT Ghent, which is thus not necessarily associated with the higher education institution they will eventually study at. For more information on this preparatory year, please contact the higher education institution.
Learning Dutch while enrolled at a programme
Interested in learning Dutch while you are enrolled at a degree programme? There are several options, from downloading the app Duolingo on your phone to taking up language courses at the CVO (Centres for Adult Education).
Some institutions also offer studying Dutch as an optional subject in the English course, and award you ECTS for it.
For more information on what your institution offers, take a link at the webpages below.
For more information, please visit the individual webpages of the Flemish higher education institutions below.
Universitites of Applied Scienses (and Arts)
- Antwerp Maritime Academy
- AP University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Artevelde University of Applied Sciences
- Erasmus Brussels University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- HOGENT University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Howest University of Applied Sciences
- KdG University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- LUCA School of Arts
- Odisee University of Applied Sciences
- PXL University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Thomas More University of Applied Sciences
- UCLL University of Applied Sciences
- VIVES University of Applied Sciences